I can’t believe we’ve been in our new home for a little over 7 months already and I have not shared our living room space! We’ve just had a lot going on recently and a few exciting changes as well. If you’re new on here, we moved into our custom home in the middle of last year and I’ve been gradually turning this house into a home.
Having an open floor plan when designing this home was important to us since we tend to spend a lot of time in both our living room and kitchen. So I am glad we were able to connect our living, dining and kitchen area, and maximize the space and time we spend together as a family. For our living room decor, I wanted a layout without much clutter and comfortable at the same time so I opted for a large sectional and a few different colors to add texture. I love how we were able to have the flexibility to select the fabric for the furniture.
Our in-built shelves have a mix of old books, dried lavender in glass vases, a few African collections from Ghana, and some wood pieces. There’s still a few things I would like to add to our living room, such as two large custom paintings on one side of the wall which I will likely paint myself, since I have an Art and Business background.
Here are a Few Tips to Styling a Living Room:
- Keep the layout of your living room in mind
- Assess the placement of furniture based on traffic pattern
- Play with upholstered pieces and texture
- Add accessories and decor that is unique to your style,
- Don’t be afraid to add affordable decor pieces to any built-ins
- Keep it simple, casual, and airy
- For decor items, experiment until you find what works for you.
Overall, I am happy with the way it turned out and sharing a round up of decor items we have in our living room.